Thursday 24 October 2013

Huh?

Things I don't get: Why would a critic of Islam, who presumably knows the basis of his criticism, suddenly convert to Islam?  I'm sorry, but I just don't get it....
For example: I did a double take when I read the headline: "Former Anti-Islam Film-Maker, Arnoud Van Doorn, Peforms [sic] Hajj After Becoming Muslim".
This was the guy who had, with Geert Wilders, made the film "Fitna", which caused a bit of a ruckus in the Islamic world a few years back.  Perhaps this was a hoax, like the recent bogus "news" that Mr Bean had converted to Islam.
But, no, it's not a hoax, it appears to be true.  And I find it both puzzling and sadly depressing.
Here's my post to the site reporting the news, awaiting moderation.  I doubt they'll let it through, as views like mine appear to be taken as being the work of trolls...
I find Doorn's conversion at once puzzling and somehow depressing. For his film “Fitna” was not him showing Islam in a bad light, it was Islamic leaders’ actions and quotes from the Koran that showed Islam in a bad light. Van Dourn himself said nothing in the Film. Yet, rather than facing the issues he quoted, Muslims instead blamed him. Classic case of killing the messenger.
And now, he converts? What’s changed in the images and doctrine of Islam that he quoted in “Fitna”? Nothing. So why convert?
It puzzles me in the extreme how someone can read these three sources of Islam, and especially the Koran, and then say “yes, that’s the religion for me”. So, that’s why it also depresses me. That someone like this guy should ignore all that he knows about Islam, and for some weird reason, decides to hew to the world’s most violent religion.
One of the commenters above says that those who study the “Qur’an” may decide to convert to Islam. One of the commenters above says that those who study the “Qur’an” may decide to convert to Islam. Well, it was only AFTER I studied, in some detail, the Koran, the Hadith and the Sirah, only after I had done that, that I learnt, from the primary sources, just how violent and supremacist are all these three doctrines of the “Islamic Trinity”.
For no mistake — I’ve now read it three times in case I missed anything — the Koran is a scary book of violence and supremacism. That’s inarguable.
Perhaps van Doorn's tweet linked to a picture of him with a gang of the Saudi ruling class says it all. "Constructive and inspiring meeting with His Royal Highness...." he says.  Aha.  One of the world's truly worst countries, where women, amongst others like gays and non-Muslims, are treated as nothing more than objects, a thoroughly vile country, this man, this convert, finds "inspiring".  
'Nuff said, I think.