Tuesday 26 October 2021

Climate change “could be solved overnight” with nuclear | Zion Lights

Zion Lights speaks to Oz. Click screenshot for video, 4 minutes 
A couple of things about Zion Lights:

1. I don’t know what about her name. I can’t find her natal name. Perhaps it was Zion Lights. With parents from the Punjab, I doubt the “Zion” has anything to do with judaism...
2. She co-founded Extinction Rebellion in the UK and was its spokesperson. She left it when she realised it was no good going around saying “we’re doomed”. You have to have something positive to say. For her that’s promoting the benefits of nuclear energy.
3. She makes a point I hadn’t realised: that Millennials and Zoomers are much more open to the idea of nuclear than Boomers (this Boomer aside, obvs). Boomers have a fixation with “nuclear = weapons”.
4. She makes a point I’ve made for years.  Namely: if we’d done more nuclear decades ago, we’d not have a climate emergency now. I think that’s a true counterfactual. It was only stopped from happening because of Green fear, especially from the (unfortunately) very efficient and persuasive Greenpeace. Zion Lights is the only other person I know who’s made that point, though surely there have been others.
5. I first saw Zion Lights a few years ago when she was still with XR and she was in Andrew Neil’s show on BBC. He eviscerated her… 
6. She’s “baffled” as to why Australia has not developed its own nuclear industry. As am I. She notes Australia could have been a leader in nuclear tech. Like Sweden, which has a strong nuclear industry providing 40% of its power. (A point never mentioned by that Swedish nymph, Greta Thunberg, btw). We could label it “New Clear”. But conservative media aside, there’s not a whiff of a mention of nuclear in Oz media. It’s crazy. It is, dare I say it, anti-science.