Tuesday, 4 August 2026

A Door in the Wall | Russia 2013

Uploaded Image

I took this photo in Russia: an abandoned factory, in an abandoned town, in an abandoned countryside, of an abandoned ideology. Where lives were lived in quiet desperation. 

It was on our cross Russia trip, four men in a Voxy, from Vladivostok to Moscow in the Spring of 2013.

Last night I listened to a radio play on YouTube. H.G. Wells’The Door in the Wall”. Wells's door is “the” Door; it is his missed opportunities. This one above is just “a” door. One of many. Of many missed opportunities. In Soviet Russia and in today’s Russkyie Putiniskyie.

There are abandoned villages and towns all across the vast plains of Siberia. We drove through them.

This photo was served up to me in my daily feed. Just after I’d listened to the Wells story. But, no, I’m sure AI had nothing to do with it….