Sunday 21 June 2020

Watching the eclipse. Repeat

Yours truly, eclipse-kitted. Discovery Bay Plaza
21 July, 2009.
There’s going to be an annular eclipse this afternoon staring 2:37 HKT. I think I’ll go to the pool to watch. Note to self: buy some eclipse glasses.
Reminded me of the very first post in this blog, 23 July, 2009, which was me watching an annular eclipse the day before from our Plaza. Was pretty good, as I recall. Today should be ditto, as weather is fine. Hot and fine.
What I said then in ‘Watching the eclipse’ was:
Down to the Plaza yesterday to catch the eclipse over HK -- just 75% occluded, but I thought should be good, and was right -- perfect clear day and so relaxing down by Pacific Coffee, watching the moon, crisp and black, slide over the dark yellow sun.  Much longer than I thought, overall lasted from 08:15 to 10:32 (or thereabouts....)
Today’s eclipse will last from 2:37pm to 5:24pm. I nearly said “should last”,  but realised there’s no doubt it will last that exact length, because, clever clogs that we homo sapiens are, we know exactly how long it will last from the wonders of science, as shown here.
UPDATE: We went to the pool and got a good look at the eclipse. Not quite as good as last time because we didn’t have the eclipse glasses, but still saw it, amongst the crowd at the pool which is back to normal numbers, kids and mums and dads and beers and flopping and chatting in the warm water. (Too warm right now, TBF).
SCMP: Today’s front page. 22 June