Wednesday 15 May 2019

Progress Report


I've written 6,000 words so that's one tenth of the way to the 60,000 words of a “standard length" non-fiction book, per my research. 
What I've done is split the book into five chapters plus foreword and conclusion. 
The five chapters each 10,000 words and the F & C each 5,000 words. 
I know more or less what each chapter will be so I can move around and write in whichever one as the mood takes. 
So yesterday did some of chapters one and two. 
The five main chapters, the guts of the book in Asian Values, is based on Confucius' five stages of life 
三十而立
四十而不惑
五十而知天命
六十而耳顺
七十而从心所欲,不逾矩
Doing some refresher work last night 复习, was looking up "the happiness of the fish" a story of Chinese philosopher Zhuang Zi, I took a photo above from my 1976 text book of Classical Chinese. The calligraphy is mine. It's not too bad! It fooled Jing who thought it might have been by an actual Chinese...
The marginalia, the notations in pencil, are also all mine, from 1977 when I'd finished in Beijing and was doing my second year at Hong Kong U. 
I much enjoyed Classical Chinese. Still do...

Sent from my iPhone