Thursday 31 January 2019

“Australia, New Zealand academics avoid China after Yang Hengjun arrest” | SCMP



I don't know my compatriot Yang Hengjun, but I do know most of the China experts mentioned in this article: Antonia Finnane, John Fitzgerald, Anne McLaren, and others.
These academics are now nervous about visiting China in case they're arbitrarily arrested. That's the first time in my forty years in China that people studying China, who have spent their lives learning about the country, its language, its culture and its people, are nervous about visiting China. This is crazy. 
Should I be nervous about visiting China, as I do regularly from my eyre here in Hong Kong? Should I worry that as a critic of China on this blog, and ex diplomat, I might be banged up?  
I dunno, but I'm wondering. 
I'm now thankful that I've kept my blog low key and with few followers …(heh).
********
Australia, New Zealand academics avoid China after Yang Hengjun arrest