Saturday 9 May 2020

Alaska Trip Day 1: Hong Kong → LA

Here it is, the master plan
[This is just a Virtual Virus Vacation. It’s what I had booked before had to cancel coz Covid-19. Click on the “Alaska Trip” label below and then scroll down to the beginning]
We were going to head off to America today. All set. All booked. All good. Then we got Covid-ed.  Had to cancel it all. But I’ve still got the itinerary I did, so I’m going to do an imaginary trip. A virtual virus vacation.
The basic plan was: (A) Drive around SW America, desert lands, high mountain country for a couple of weeks, then Salt Lake City to Juneau for (B) Alaska cruise, bear and glacier hunting, for couple of weeks. Good plan!
Day one is Hong Kong to LA. Air Canada seems the go, around $3,500 round trip, bus class vs Cathay about five times more. As long as the seat goes flat, I don’t care the airline.  If it’s toss up, then Cathay, for sure.
There’s not much to say about this first leg. Around 13 hours, a literal pain in the arse, and it’s going to be a good 24 hours by the time we’re done with all the faffing. And the jet lag, which we get badly going West to East. Somehow the other way around, going to London from HK say, doesn’t hurt as much. I know, have to take those tabs I’ve got somewhere.
Air travel is boring for everyone. Except when you can’t do it. So, I leave it there for Day one.....