Wednesday 13 May 2020

Alaska Trip Day 5: Las Vegas

Freemont St, Las Vegas, pre-distancing days. Looks horrid, TBF
[Remember: this is just a Virtual Virus Vacation. It’s what I had booked before had to cancel coz Covid-19].

We’ve not been to Las Vegas so I guess we’ll just tootle around town. Maybe take a tour of some sort. Maybe drive whatever we’ve rented. Which I’ve tossed up being a good old Mercedes or something a bit sportier — a Mustang perhaps, though TBF Mustangs are not too sporty. I last drove one in 2007 from New York to Wayne, in Maine to take John to Summer camp Androscoggin, a camp I’d been to in 1962. 800 miles each way, and it was pretty gutless and shocking handler. Still, bright red, drop-top and a bit of fun. Americans have a real love of this car. 

[FORGOT: I was also co-driver of the Mightly Mustang below, which we drove from Cape Town to Cairo in 2011]
Tour wise I’d love to do a Law and Order tour. Go all the places in the hit TV show, the original, with Billy Peterson and Margaret Hengleberger (?), before all the spin-offs, and we used to love. I wonder if they still do the tours. Or if they ever did. Maybe we’re just in my imagination. 
Remembering the Mighty Mustang.  Gordon K’s race-tricked 1968 model
We drove from Cape Town to Cairo in 2011. Table Mountain in background
More info and photos of the Mighty Mustang here