Saturday 8 April 2023

Happy Easter | The many faces of Jesus

2011 I was in northern Kenya, about to co-drive a classic Ford Mustang belonging to sailing mate Gordon Ketelbey across the northern desert and “the road from hell”. We were at a dusty roadside coffee hut, sitting on dusty chairs, waiting for the dusty waiter, waiting for coffee and petrol. Coffee in the can Petrol in the jerry can. Young boy, maybe 10, comes up, admires car, then turns to me and says “Sir, have you found Jesus?”.
I ask him what he means by “found”. He asks, do you believe in the Lord. I say I know Jesus and that I believe he was a good many who preached love, but no I don’t believe in God. Young lad is puzzled and leaves, asking for nothing more, which is a rarity in Africa where at all stops we are asked for something. Often they want the car, our Magic Mustang.
Jesus in many forms. From the WSJ:
Easter is the peak time for searching for “Jesus,” according to the Google Trends website, which measures the popularityof online queries. But this February, interest ran higher than at any other time of year including Christmas. The reason seems to have been a pair of unusual ads that ran during the Super Bowl telecast… [More…]