Saturday 26 October 2019

SCMP - Violent young protesters aren’t fighting a noble cause, they will only do lasting damage to themselves and Hong Kong

Forgive me if I don't want to see Hong Kong ruined by millenarian teenagers. No, I don't accept your offer to "Burn with us". I'm not the only one.

I've watched the protests from on the ground, like last Sunday, and for hours on live stream, uncensored, unblinking views of police and protesters. I've seen police using their batons to down protesters before arresting them. And I've seen them fire rubber bullets (which don't make much sense to me), and tear gas canisters (ditto), and the police do look pretty scary in their riot gear (but then again, so the the masked Black Guards). But I've seen nothing that I would call "police brutality". Yet that's the belief of every protester and a big chunk of their adult supporters.
> At the same time, the people of Hong Kong should beware of the protesters' propaganda machine, which has successfully led some to believe that one protester lost an eye after being shot by police; that people were killed by officers inside Prince Edward MTR station, and; that the police were somehow responsible for the suicide of a 15-year-old student . Raymond Young…
Sympathisers of protesters claim the violent acts are a result of the "excessive force" and lack of restraint by police. But, for of Hong Kong people who have in the past four months witnessed endless unauthorised demonstrations, as well as violent attacks on police and fellow citizens, this view is detached from reality.
In London the Police Commissioner banned the Extinction Rebellion demos and arrested thousands. When we do the same here, it's Carrie Lam's "dictatorship".
I don't understand why sensible adults support violence on the "you-made-me-do-it" argument. That's the terrorist argument. My grievances, which you created, made me do it.
Like many of us, Andrew Young supported the original anti Extradition Bill demos but is appalled at our increasing violence with so-called "responsible adults" cheering them on.
Unfortunately, the campaign has morphed into a thinly veiled pro-independence movement, with the slogan "Liberate Hong Kong; revolution of our times" painted on public roads and buildings all over the city. Mainland-controlled and China-friendly enterprises have been vandalised and ordinary citizens attacked for voicing dissenting views.…
All those who sympathise with violent protesters should take heed, before a whole generation of our youth bury themselves in a self-glorified utopia.