Monday 17 August 2015

Is Julia Warwick an enchriophobe? A doppiophobe? A tottikophobe?

Julia Warwick works for the BBC Weekend program, though I can't find anything about her when I Google.
The reason for writing about her now is that I heard her on the BBC World Service Radio, here in Hong Kong, a little while back talking about the so-called[*] "migrant" issue in Europe.
I have noted down that she said: "They [migrants] are, if I may be so bold, more intelligent [than the British in Britain]".
For saying that she was roundly criticised.... no, no, she was roundly praised for being so open and tolerant!
Imagine for just a second that she'd said it the other way around: "British, are, if I may be so bold, more intelligent than the migrants."  Oh, my goodness me, the firestorm that would have engulfed her!
So, I was trying to come up with some words that are the literal opposite of "xenophobia", using a Greek root (as is "xeno").  And hence the headline:
"Enchirios" is indiginous
"Doppios" is native
"Tottikos" is local.
Surely Ms Warwick is one of these.  And surely, too, are all her fellow travellers.  Haters of anything in their own culture, society, nation.  And, by contrast, lover and excuser of all that is the opposite.
**************
[*] I say "so-called" because they used to be known as "illegal migrants", then as "undocumented migrants" until someone somewhere (in the BBC?) decided that it would be more "neutral" and "balanced" to call them simply "migrants".  But they are, are they not, illegal or undocumented?  I could not go to the Europe without a passport nor stay there without a visa.  Laws mean something; or they are simply mocked. (The refugee issue is a whole 'nother matter.  But noone's any more pretending that these migrants are not overwhelmingly educated, well-off and looking for a better life, rather than deserving refugees).