Tuesday 23 April 2019

”No one should be shy of learning Chinese” From Peter Forsythe, Discovery Bay, Hong Kong


Above is Jpeg, so links won't work..

Looking for something else I came across this letter of mine published a couple of years ago in the Financial Times. I hadn't seen it before because it was behind a paywall but I guess they drop the wall after a certain time.  Which makes sense. Get people engaged then hit them with a subscription request when they're looking at something more current. 

I guess I gilded the lily a bit re my German which was always nicht so fliessend. But the rest would pass fact check and I needed to say what I did about French, Italian, etc, because I was making the point that knowing a European language is no hindrance to learning Chinese. 
I stick by my conclusion: "Chinese repays study, in spades". 

FWIW and ICYMI...