Thursday 22 April 2021

The Koran drinking game

shot. Haha. "Jesus is playing a dangerous game"

Reminds me that I started this blog twelve years ago, as I was reading around Islam and I wanted somewhere to bookmark some interesting readings. That's pretty much what it remains, not so much a normal "blog" as a place for me to file stuff I find of interest. And to have the occasional rant. Which also means that readers are pretty occasional too. But better that than having the obligation every day to try to maximise likes and visits.... 

Anyway, early on I had my copy of the Koran by my bedside, another by my lounge chair and I would dip into it, randomly (this after I'd read it cover to cover. Unlike the Bible, it's a slight book, easy to finish off in a few readings). And I'd dip into it to see if I came across anything that was of love and mercy. Nada. That was my own version of Jesus' "Koran drinking game". On which he's not wrong. A textual analysis shows that something of the order of 70% of the passages rail against we infidels. 

And remember: it's not bigoted to like and chuckle at this cartoon. It's an equal opportunity mocker of ideas, not of people. Or, to repeat...

Remember: It’s perfectly safe to like this cartoon — it’s not bigoted! The likes of Chicago prof Jerry Coyne writes the foreword to a collection of the strips. Click on the “Jesus & Mo” label below to see my selection over the years, or go straight to the source. The writer of the strip has only ever been known as “Author”, a wise precaution given the anti-cartoon murders in France and Austria.