Tuesday 6 September 2022

"Why I’m staying in Hong Kong: high mobility, low crime, green spaces – and Hongkongers themselves” | Peter Kammerer

We have walked many of the fine trails in HK, including the
famousMacLehose Trail, the HK Trail and the Dragon’s Back
This is a good article by Peter Kammerer, and summarises much of the reason that I (we) decide to stay here, despite the issues -- some of which have been wildly exaggerated in the west, eg, like “oppression”. We are not oppressed....

Anyway, let Peter Kammerer have his say: 

In the age of the gig economy, I am a dinosaur. I worked continuously for this newspaper for 34 years and three months, joining at 25 and, as of this column, ceasing full-time employment with retirement. Such occasions can be turning points, but my thoughts are only of a much-needed break and exercise – for how long, I can’t tell. Of one thing there is certainty, though: Hong Kong is my home.

Friends overseas and acquaintances express surprise when I tell them I’m staying in Hong Kong. I could retire to the place of my birth, Australia, or to any of the European Union’s 27 member states.

I’ve considered a unit with ocean views on Queensland’s Gold Coast, a village house in Portugal or an inner-city flat in Munich, where my father was from. But after considering the advantages, costs and otherwise, I’ve opted to stay put for now. The reason is that the positives vastly outweigh the negatives.

To start with, let’s put the politics of Hong Kong and the rest of the nation aside. Hongkongers have never had a say in the way their government is run and their ability to influence its decisions remains limited, no matter how improved we are told the system is.

My comment at the site. And I should have added, as he has, the Country Parks. Jing and I have done many many walks in the country parks, one major one being pretty much literally on our doorstep, the Lantau Country Park. For precision: the start is 300 metres up the road. Some very wonderful walks. As good at they get. Hong Kong is a mecca for long-distance trail running and cross-country events. (when the government doesn’t cancel them, that is, in an excess of caution over covid...)

Peter F.
Well done and well said, Peter K! I've come to the same conclusion. 40+ years in HK. Could retire in Australia (like PK, I'm an Aussie), Europe or the US, yet choose here. Mainly for: (1) Domesic help (2) Health care (I'm mid 70s with issues, and HK (private) health is world class) (3) Safety (4) Ease of access to world, when and if Covid restritions fade. Sure, I'm priviliged to live in a nice place, and you sure do need money to retire here, that's a fact. As long as you can, then for sure the positives outweigh the negatives. BTW, friends who left after 2019, several have returned.
 • Edited
14

Also: I would have added, before, when we had our boat Xena: the sailing. Again, it's world class, sailing around the thousands of islands dotting “greater Hong Kong”. Hong Kong sits in the caldera of a an ancient super-volcano some tens of millions of years old, and the islands form the remnants of the caldera. 

So, that’s it. Viva Hong Kong! 

ADDED: A nice response to my comment. One doesn’t get many of these, so I’ll post it here:

Richard C.
@Peter F. Good to hear what you were saying/writing. You are really a local HongKonger after living in HK for 40+ years, Peter F. Enjoying your retirement in HK and enjoy every single minute because "We are live and there is no REPEAT (like a movie)”

And: Richard C.
It is amazing to read  many foreigners/expats (such as Peter F, Sensible H, Michael C, etc. etc.) but now they should be classified as HongKongers for telling SCMP readers how they felt about Hong Kong and their first hand honest opinion & assessment after living in HK for over decade to 40+ years. Thank you for all their expression of support to Hong Kong!
2