Wednesday 14 July 2021

“Peaceful protest in Hong Kong brutally crushed by police”. Not

Stop gaslighting us. Protesters killed by police: zero
I’m watching Germany’s English language DW TV. We quite like it as it seems to be — at at least tries to be ~~ neutral and objective. But not the show I’ve just watched. They’ve just shown some clips of 2019 demos on our Hong Kong streets. 

They just said the words above. Both parts of the statement are wrong. They were not peaceful protests in 2019; and they were not brutally crushed.

I was here. I went to the demos person to see what what was happening. I watched hours of livestream. They were not “peaceful protests”. And the police did not, at any stage, at any time “ brutally crush” the rioters. Indeed as was noted by media at the time, it was remarkable that there was not a single death of a protester, or of a policeman, during the many months if unrest, which every time descended to chaos, burning and vandalism (all which I saw, with mine own eyes).

I don’t for one minute support what’s going on now. The arrests. Closing down the Apple Daily. Stflimg the opposition. Proof of my views: Click on Labels “Xi Jinping” or “National Security Law”.

But for goodness sake, in 2019 they were not “peaceful protesters” and they weren’t “brutally crushed”. 

But this is how narratives get created. The narrative will be that in 2019 they were fine and peaceful protesters, until the police waded in, “brutally”. For the record: That did not happen.