Monday 12 July 2021

Zsa Zsa Gabor, Jackie Stewart, Winston Churchill: pre-war British yacht’s storied past comes back to life in Japan, cigar burn included

Cynara, gaff-rigged schooner, launched 1927
In Japanese waters. Click screenshot to go to article
I'm very interested in wooden boat building and restoration.
I built a small one myself in the backyard a few years back. These days I follow a couple of boat-building and restoration sites: Mark Reuten’s 2.4mR project and Leo’s rebuild of Tally Ho are favourites. Also Bob Emser building a Haven 12.5 which is the carvel version of the lapstrake Somes Sound 12.5 I built. I pay them monthly contributions because they produce excellent videos that take time and effort and cost them time and money. They give me pleasure and teach me. That’s worth supporting to the tune of a couple of glasses of wine per month… (Patreon is the go).
Here I'm book-marking a lovely story in today's SCMP about the 6-year restoration of a famous wooden boat that ended up in Japan: the gaff-rigged schooner that ended up as Cynara, nearly as scrap ina Japanese marina. Fantastic that their owners committed so much to the rebuild. 
I wish I'd known; I could've popped over to Japan and offered my humble hands. Sigh…