Wednesday 15 September 2021

Margaret FORSYTHE ("Mutti"), Centenarian -- 100 y.o. on 15 September 2021

Born Te Mawhai, New Zealand, 160km S of Auckland 
Near Hamilton and Cambridge. Farming land

Kilburn Park, Wellington, Spring 1944
New Zealand Air Force uniform
Crop from above
Margaret Tokyo 1946
Mother and Son (Peter), Tokyo 1952
With John. Grindlewald Switzerland Nov 1972
Murren, Switzerland 1972
Mutti and granddaughters Anna and Meredith
December 2009, Melbourne Llewellyn Hall, ANU

Mutti, grandson John, his mother Jing
Dogs Marcus and Basil, August 2012
Melbourne Botanic Gardens June 2017


Murray River, June 2017

Otago National Park, Victoria, June 2017

Mutti and Anne, June 2018 Canberra
Mutti and Marylin Adrienne (photo BY Marilyn, see comments)
Canberra, March 2021
UPDATE:
ABC RADIO Interview with Margaret and Peter here.
ABC Canberra FB Page on the interview here.
Email me to Add a Greeting to Margaret ("Mutti"). I can’t seem to enable Comments, and I don't do Facebook. I’ll post only your surname and initial unless you want otherwise. 
ADDED: The ABC FB page on the interview has 2.5k likes! And thousands of Greetings! Amazing. Link here
Click “Read more” to see Greetings to M sent via me. Latest on top.
Sally W (Byron Bay):
Dear Margaret, It was such a joy to find the article about your 100th birthday on Facebook - along with the wonderful pictures. You look simply terrific - and you appear not to have aged a minute since that lovely time we were last together here in Byron Bay. 
What a misfortune that bloody covid has thwarted your family get-together for your birthday celebration. I know how very disappointed Peter was not to be able to be with you, but I loved his interview with you on the ABC radio. 
Let's just hope that now we are reaching our 80% vaccination goal, it won't be long until all lock-downs are lifted, and perhaps you can have a belated celebration. If so, I'd just love to be on the guest list....... I think of you often, and want to send my special love and congratulations to you - a Grand Dame if every there was one. 
Much love,Sal. ❤️


Steve P, Padge (Canberra):
Peter, I enjoyed listening to the interview on ABC radio on Margaret’s 100 years. 
Both of you seemed lucid and in good form. 
A remarkable person. You and Anne are blessed !!
Congratulations and best wishes to both of you, 
Steve P
Susie O'C, Padge (Byron): 
A bit late but please pass on greetings to Margaret on her extraordinary achievement. You must be so proud of her. What an amazing woman.
Sam K (HK):
Wow Peter This is fabulous !!!
Congratulations and wish her all the very best
cheers
sam
Sally W (Byron Bay):
hey forse, great interview on the ABC with margaret on her 100th. i found it on facebook. how very sad for you all not to be able to be with her. and not even anne or the grandkids due to lockdown. but as usual, she sounded so upbeat and accepting of what is, with her ever acute sense of humour and extraordinary memory...
Jane F (Melbourne):
She is also my granny! So sad we couldn't all be together on her milestone birthday! Great interview and heard some stories I didn't know.
Steve and Alison O (Jindabyne):
In a year so full of ups and (mostly) downs, this day is more than a glimmer. It’s a shining day for Margaret and all her family, and we know she can celebrate in style, looking fantastic and sharper than any tack we know!
All the best and congratulations from Steve Oz and Alison
Ann A (MN, USA):
Thanks. And happy birthday Margaret! 
Iris and Grant B (NZ:

Happy 100th Birthday Mutti

This is an Incredible Milestone

Alan R (Beijing):

Thanks Forse.

 

“An extraordinary achievement Margaret and Happy Birthday!"

 

Alan Reid

Imelda D (Perth):
What a tremendous  event and what a life - just looked at a bit of Canberra coverage. Glad to hear all is well for you in HK. So sad you were not able to get down for the great day. 
All good here - a bit stir crazy as well.  Would Greg have met Margaret. I know that would have been mightily impressed, as am I.
Stay well
Kind regards
Imelda
Steve F (Sydney):
Thanks Peter.
"Margaret, I'm in awe. Billie Burke provides news of you from time to time and it is so impressive. And I love the photo of you in uniform. Stephen F".
Peter, yes, here too feeling a bit fretful.
Steve
Judy R (UK):
Happy Birthday Margaret!
I hope you are enjoying a very special day. 
What a fabulous achievement and what a special
Family and group of friends you have. 
With very best wishes
Judy (from UK, previously HK)
Jane F (Melbourne):
I listened to the interview at lunch time (Anne sent a link) -it was lovely! I didn't know that was happening. Did you approach the ABC? Lots of stories I hadn't heard (truck driving licence!). Got a bit teary! You spoke well and naturally as usual. I worry these stories will be lost! I hope you consider doing the interviews with her again. Such a shame we couldn't all be together today. Love J xx
Peter H (Tel Aviv):
Peter, send her my regards, I met her with Bronwyn who remained so fond.

(Son Yoni and I are in NY, just driven in from Chicago.. near 3000km road trip that included Atlanta and Washington.. I’m selling a house and looking if I buy more (no, crazy market)

Talk later.. sad you can not join yr mother. P
Kevin D (HK):
Wish her the best from me!
Will always remember being up at the driving range and her giving you tips on your swing! 

Kev

Gordon K (Sydney):
Dear Margaret
Well done on reaching such a tender young age. Hope all goes well and pity your son cant get from HK to join you.
Have a wonderful day.
Gordon
Antoinette R, Adrienne (Adi) F, Clarissa T (Canberr):
Thanks Anne, these [photos] are lovely! Please wish Margaret a happy birthday from us at the ABC!  

Ralph E (Sydney):

Hello Peter

Lovely message about your mother's centenary!

I am glad to hear you and Jing are well.

All well here. A boring protracted lockdown lite, which failed to throttle the delta variant in its early days. We have a surfeit of politics surrounding covid, and lots of other matters, as momentum builds for an election within six months. The options are far from inspiring.

Michael moved to Adelaide. Greg's visits from the west are no more. I haven't seen any of the old gang in a while. I hear regularly from Roger and Julie.

Which reminds me, I haven't seen my own daughter and grandkids for two years now. I will visit them in Oman as soon as I can. We do video calls, of course.

Stay well!

Ralph

Jing L (HK):
“In the end, long life is the reward, strength and beauty” ~ Grace Paley
Jing L and John F (HK):
Arlene V (HK):
Happy Birthday Mutti! Congratulations from me and Basil!

John F (UCLA, Los Angeles): 
Happy Birthday, Mutti! What a milestone! With a letter from the Queen to boot! Love from John 
Karen W (UK):
Congratulations on this amazing milestone Margaret .
I hope your day will be filled with  sunshine , smiles and the love of your family .
 The photographs on Peters' post are a glimpse into your life , decades of experience , decades of life well lived .
Have a wonderful day and a very happy 100th year ahead. 
Marilyn W (Canberra): 
You’ve done such a great job, Peter - she was thrilled with the cards from the Queen, GG and … Scomo!! I so wish she could have her new phone on her birthday. I asked Anne to ask if someone at CG could set it up for her - I’ve sent all the details of what to do; not difficult - but not sure if she has done that. 
The photos are gorgeous, although the last one was taken BY me and it is my friend Adrienne (who has also invited M to her home for lunch and is very fond of M) in the photo by the lake, where we took her for fish and chips, which I’m planning to do again as soon as we are out of lockdown as she enjoyed it so much.
I’ve just shelled some Aussie tiger prawns for her and made a sauce to go with them, for her to have for her lunch (and probably tea), and have put together a little basket of food goodies for her. I so hope she will have a special day. Jill, the manager, has agreed that I can take it there at 1200 and she will have M on the other side of the front doors so that I can at least see her in the flesh, though I’d love to be able to give her a big hug. 
Look forward to seeing everyone on Zoom. 
Cheers
Marilyn x
Peer N and Catherine (Boston USA):

Hi Forse:

What a lovely tribute to your mother on her 100th birthday celebration. 

Can you please send her wholehearted congratulations and many happy returns from Catherine and myself on this great day!

Best

Peer