Saturday 19 January 2019

Another Rachel Dolezal affair? Hawaii congressman claims he’s “an Asian trapped in a white’s body”. « Why Evolution Is True





The link to the story is below.  In Jerry Coyne’s Why Evolution Is True. 
Basically a guy said he felt he's Asian. Even though he's Caucasian. Horror! Social media piles on. 
I added my comment....

Posted January 18, 2019 at 6:51 am | Permalink
@Matt
"We can assume that were a caucasian raised in an Asian culture, their brain might be 'wired' similarly. Per the prevailing SWJ view, would that person not be trans-asian?"
That would describe me. A trans-Asian Aussie.
I'm of Scottish stock, but born in Japan and lived most of my 69 years in Asia. I'm married to a Chinese, speak and write Chinese.
I've often said "I feel Chinese". Usually to some little amusement by Chinese as I'm 6'4", round eyes and a very long nose (a "high nose" in Chinese). My little joke – which is also true – has never been taken amiss. It's ratherbeen enjoyed. Appreciated even.
I empathise with Ed, and his critics are know-nothing scolds.
By the way – in response to below – Chinese (and Japanese) have *both* pictograms and ideograms. It's why learning them is so charming.
And, FWIW, I find I can memorise poems and texts, and names, more easily in Chinese than English. Because of the pictographic element.
If Jerry reads this, he may recall we met here in Hong Kong a few years back, at the
Foreign Correspondents Club.
Peter Forsythe

  • Peter Forsythe
    Posted January 18, 2019 at 6:54 am | Permalink
    I meant @James Walker, above.
    (Re pictograms and ideograms).

  • Posted January 18, 2019 at 12:44 pm | Permalink
    Peter, thanks for sharing your illustrative personal example. Trans activists plant their flag on the hill of trans ID etiology being a person is born with a brain of the opposite sex*. Trans-racial ID can be rejected on the premise that race is a social construct. Even if it were to be shown that a person's brain can become 'asian' or 'black' through environmental pressure, the trans activists will still claim special status as having been 'born' that way.
    As Sam Harris cautions, arguing for equal rights, not on broad ethical grounds, but rather based on such rigid 'scientific' assumptions, can easily backfire if new discoveries in science disprove those assumptions.
    * Which, btw, conflicts two other points of SJW dogma, that there are no 'biological' differences between male & female behavior, and that an infinite spectrum of genders/sexes exists.

https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2019/01/17/another-rachael-dolezal-affair-hawaii-congressman-claims-hes-an-asian-trapped-in-a-whites-body/


Sent from my iPad