Monday 12 October 2020

Winter flu deaths in Hong Kong three times Covid deaths

Below clip from the Hong Kong government Centre for Health Protection

Why aren’t we offering the same advice re covid as offered re the flu, in the second para below? Namely that people “adopt strict personal hand and environmental hygiene”, but otherwise carry on life as usual.

By the way, I don’t think that comparing Covid to the flu is good framing of this issue; better to compare with pneumonia, which is much closer to what covid is. The reason it’s not good framing is because people may then assume  you don’t know nuffink. You’re a “Covidiot”. But I mention it here because these are the mortalities -- for a disease we catch in much the same way we catch covid -- and they highlight the different treatment, of covid vs flu, the latter disease three times more deadly than covid (at least in Hong Kong) and also affecting children, which covid has so far not done. 

It remains my biggest “I don’t get it”. I don’t get why everyone has gone crazy and continues to be crazy, over a virus that is nowhere near as deadly as all other pandemics except for Swine flu. And for those we did not institute the extraordinary measures we now have for covid. I don’t get why the media and governments think that fear-mongering is the way to go.

Anyway, here’s the clip from the Hong Kong Centre for Health Protection:

For adults, 601 cases of influenza-associated admission to the Intensive Care Unit or death (356 deaths)* were recorded this influenza season (from the week of December 30, 2018, to the week ending April 6). As for children (aged under 18), 24 severe cases (one death) were reported in the same period. About 73 per cent had not received seasonal influenza vaccination for the current season....

  "Meanwhile, the public should continue to adopt strict personal, hand and environmental hygiene practices against respiratory illnesses and other infectious diseases," the spokesman added. [my bolding]

Those “respiratory illnesses and other infectious diseases” would-should include Covid. 

*As of today, 105 deaths from Covid. Not one of a person under 39 yo, let alone of a child.

With h/t for the link to the CHP, to a comment at the site of the alarmist front page story in today’s South China Morning Post, predicting 1,000 deaths over winter, when we have had 105 in the ten months to date.

ADDED: (14 October): I trust these Hong Kong government figures and the HK medical system. I’ve had a lot to do with HK government over my years in government here and in business dealings with them. They are picky, persnickety, particular and precise. As for the hospital system, I’ve had close friends working in it, who confirm it’s world class. I’ve had two of my children born in HK hospitals and I’ve had serious heart surgery in one.

So when they categorise a death as being from flu, I trust that to be the correct cause of death.