Friday 13 January 2023

Ha, ha, hypocrisy | A local committee goes all silly on masks

Also: Ha, ha, silly. And: Ha, ha, “this ain’t the science”. 

I’m asked to join a local management committee. I don’t really want to, but agree. Then realise that I may have to wear a mask to meetings. I ask about it. They say, yes, it’s the law. I say: in that case, thank you for the offer, but I sadly decline. (I’m fully well-read on the science and the “science” of mask wearing. My objections are not in ignorance of that). 

The committee thinks about it and gets back to me today: I can attend without mask if I have a vaccine. Do I have a vaccine? Yes, I say. Fine, they say, welcome to attend. 

So: the committee are willing to let me break the law. If you don’t wear a mask anywhere indoors or outdoors in today’s Hong Kong it’s a $US900 fine. The strictest mask mandates in the world.  The committee are willing for me to break the law, if I can provide them with proof of a vaccine -- which was never effective against transmission and is now, fourteen months since my last booster, no longer effective, either against transmission or for my severity of infection. But still.... Do I have a vaccine? Yes, I do.

That, I submit, is crazy hypocrisy, from people who are smart, yet who are happier to pretend and turn a blind eye, than they are to resist the mandates, openly and call them out for being silly, at this stage of the pandemic. Shame on them. 

Reminds me of what I’ve seen countless times here in DB: people come in from outside, masked up, into the coffee shop, take off their masks. Then leave, and don their masks before going outside, where fresh easterly winds are blowing. There is zero, nil, nada, science behind that activity. Save that it’s according to the law. And everyone -- except me of course! -- follows. Mass Psychosis.