Sunday 29 January 2023

“Nuclear energy should power city’s carbon neutrality push” | PF letter

 

Click to enlarge and clarify 
My letter was the featured one in today’s South China Morning Post. It’s lightly edited by the SCMP fact-checker; here is as submitted

I’m going to spend more time here in Hong Kong pushing for us to go full nuclear. We could do it tomorrow. There are four nuclear power stations in Guangdong, just across the border, that have offered us spare power. Those four would give us net zero electricity. Like that 🫰. 

The “reason” we don’t accept China’s spare nuclear power is because of objections by the Greens. I put “reason” in quotes, because their objections are not reason. They are emotional — they are fear-based. Fear, the most powerful of emotions. But not based on reason or science. Which is clear: Nuclear is the safest, cleanest, most reliable electric energy on the planet. Full stop.

ADDED: some comments that I don’t give enough kudos to China, for its Nuclear plans. But I do and have. I gave China kudos for Nuclear back in 2010. I recognise that China is one of the very few countries that has a realistic plan to transition to low carbon dioxide economy, by using Nuclear in a big way, as well as Wind, Solar, Hydro and natural gas. 
I underline realistic, because Net Zero is not realistic when it’s looked at closely: Michael Kelly looks at it closely. Rather nerdy, but you have to be, if Net Zero is to mean anything other than just a signal of virtue.