Friday 13 January 2023

Safetyism went viral during the pandemic

Left-wing students disinvite speakers because they feel
“unsafe” or “threatened”: because words are “violence” 
I remember when I first read “what, you want to kill your grandmother?” when I questioned, online, strict lockdowns. Not that I’ve had a grannie, but still. It hurt. That was way back in mid 2002. Now it’s the standard. Anything, just anything, could maybe harm or kill. And had to be cancelled, circumscribed, banned. That’s safetyism.

I walk out the front door, I could bump into someone and give them a heart attack. I drive a car and I could kill someone. Walk, outside, in a fresh breeze, without a mask and I could pass on the virus and kill someone. I breathe and my CO2 warms the globe, raises the oceans and kills humanity. 

I like this little ditty

"Better safe than sorry" is a limiting belief

"Safety first" won't win you first place

“Stay safe” guarantees mediocrity

Seeking safety is a trap.