Sunday 1 January 2023

New Years Day photo | Village Owners Committees

From our home in Discovery Bay, looking East to Central Hong Kong. On left, ferry pier for Disneyland. On right, Peninsula village, Discovery Bay.

This year I getting back into local politics cum management. I’m rejoining the Village Owners’ Committee, which I sat on for seven years and chaired for three. I’m doing this at their request. They want a more “balanced” committee which they worry is currently too local Chinese and not enough “gweilo” (aka foreign) representative. Also more rep from those with different property types. You get voting rights by the number of “management units”: our house, eg, has more management units than a small apartment. Management by property owners. Which in my 25 years of experience here, works.

Overall I think that the management of Discovery Bay is pretty good. The volunteer VOCs give input to the salaried Management Services Company, which represents the developer. Non-owners can have their say by coming along to VOC meetings, awa any other time by correspondence. Net result is a nicely run community. I think.

Snap! To above photo …
Me, in Lavinia Nature Reserve, King Island, Australia
7 January 2018. Trip with daughter Jane