Monday 27 February 2023

Covid’s lost years: Hong Kong children bear the cost of missing school, as more are diagnosed with learning problems | SCMP

Kind of done with the masks issue, but pinning this article from today's South China Morning Post for the record. 
This will make it 56 posts including "masks" as a topic, since my first, on 24 January 2020, at the beginning of the pandemic. I just had a look at it, and it stands up pretty well. Though I see that I wrote SARS CoV-2 was transmitted by droplets not aerosols, which was the understanding at the time, but proved to be the opposite. That's the science. Can change as knowledge changes. 
By the way, correcting typos aside, I haven't changed that post... or any others. I don't go in for “secret-quiet edits" as some do (eg: NYT 1619 project); I've committed to not changing past posts, except when I add to a post, which I'll always make clear by “ADDED”.
Anyhoo… today's bad news for kiddies. We also know in other places they’ve found masking bad for kids. 
Bottom line: masks have an effect, but it’s marginal and has to be weighed against the negatives.
That’s about it. 
Other than referring back to my Letter the other day, to the SCMP, in which I note you can find studies that support you, if you’re pro-mask and studies that support you if you’re anti-mask. That alone says that the evidence is equivocal at best.