Wednesday 12 August 2009

Avaaz petition -- Aung San Suu Kyi

A friend just sent me this below. (I’m really not sure these sorts of things can do much good, but surely no harm, and I’ve signed it…) Info on Avaaz organisation is at the link.
Hi − After thirteen years of detention, Burmese pro democracy hero and Nobel Peace laureate Aung San Suu Kyi has just been condemned to another year and a half on trumped up charges.
I just signed an urgent petition urging the United Nations Security Council to take action to end the Burmese tyranny and hold the regime to account not just for this cruelty, but for all the vicious crimes that they have committed against monks, children and thousands of ethnic minorities. I thought that you would want to join me by calling for a UN Commission of Inquiry and together we can bring justice to Burma!

Click this link to sign the petition and see links below for more information:

The politics behind the guilty verdict
Read the Harvard report
The United Nations Official's appeal to the Security Council
For the UK MPs call for Commission of Inquiry