Friday 1 February 2019

“Better understanding of China would ease fears about Huawei” | SCMP Editorial

"Ordinary citizens should make up their own minds, though... through...better understanding China's history and culture." 
Says the editorial in today’s South China Morning Post. To which my quick and cranky response is:
  • You mean like "understanding" the culture of corruption? Or the history of mercantilism? Of "we win-you lose"? Of blatant IP theft?
  • Or perhaps we are to "understand" China's history and culture of protectionism? Baidu = Google, WeChat = WhatsApp, Alibaba = Amazon. But none of these American companies is allowed in China. 
  • Or perhaps it's the history and culture of censorship? Of imprisoning people for their thoughts? Of jailing them for exercising their Constitutional rights?
  • Or putting a million in labour camps because they are Muslim?
  • Is this what you mean by suggesting "Better understanding of China would ease fears about Huawei"?
  • I'm sorry, but the more I learn about Xi's China the greater, not easier my fears.
[Unusually for the often anti-American SCMP readership, the comments are trending against the editorial and anti Huawei]

LATER: I realise this looks like out-and-out China bashing. It’s not. After all, I live in China, I’m married to a Chinese, my son is half Chinese. What I’m doing here is bashing the dictatorial regime of Xi Jinping and his corrupt, self-serving mercantilist officials. China has had bright periods, centuries long, dynasties glorious for being the opposite of all above. The Song, the Tang and the Ming are just three examples, when Confucian virtue required misbehaviour be called out. Even up and to the emperor. Now is not one of those bright periods (economy aside, of course).