Monday 13 December 2021

A lovely day on the water

1,200 swim Wanchai to Tsim Sha Tsui
I’ve  swum in Hong Kong’s Victoria harbour. Not exactly voluntarily— at the end of a race we won, tossed in by crew mates. Yay! I do know that it’s been cleaned up a lot and now we have a Cross Harbour Race every year, Covid aside. The sea water temp is around 25C Air temp 23C, humidity 60%, fine, dry, moderate northerlies. Perfect. SCMP report.
 The Post’s Akira Reinfrank did it for her first time and loved it:

‘I stripped off and dived in’. Akira takes a selfie
The winter sun was warming, the crowds of swimmers (1,200 in total) were joyous and cheering each other on and most of all the water was surprisingly clean and clear. I still took precautions like ear plunges and did my best to keep my mouth closed especially at the beginning and the end when there was an odd smell in the air. But in general the water conditions were so good it was almost easy to forget you were swimming in the middle of a harbour.  [More…]