Sunday 12 August 2018

I watched China being reborn: the Wang Gungwu memoir | SCMP

Professor Wang Gungwu
For "Interesting Times"?  From today's "This week in Asia" magazine of the SCMP

I met professor Wang Gungwu back in the eighties when I was working with his close friend, Ambassador Steve FitzGerald (or as Aus PM Gough Whitlam called him, "Comrade Ambassador").
They were both at the Australian National University together in the 60s-70s (iirc), before Gungwu, as Steve always called him, went to Hong Kong in 1986, while I was still with Steve (I left Steve's company in 1989 to go to the Australian Embassy in Beijing).
I must have met Gungwu in Hong Kong and I'm trying to recall that.... he and Steve were really pretty close; they had a big warm spot for each other.
I'm thinking I have to try to get each of them on the podcast before too long! Gungwu is 87 already, and Steve rising 80. To think I first met Steve in 1976 in Peking when he was Australia's Ambassador to China; he was 38. I was 26.
The article in "This Week in Asia", the SCMP Magazine:
"I watched China being reborn": the Wang Gungwu memoir.