Wednesday 29 August 2018

Leaders can’t leave Hong Kong independence alone


Above is the featured letter in today's South China Morning Post. It's by Leung Chung-ying ("CY), our immediate past Chief Executive and current vice-chairman of the Chinese People's Consultative Conference. [Link to online] [Archive]
CY quotes me, and proceeds to ignore my advice. 
Which was to ignore Andy Chan's inane calls for Hong Kong independence. My logic being that doing so only gives oxygen to Chan and inflames Beijing's paranoia. And when Beijing is paranoid they can crush Hong Kong — its incursions to date will seem trivial. 
But CY argues the opposite. Oh well. I guess he knows better. Though his performance as C-E wouldn't inspire confidence.
Also I think he’s well overplaying the extent of support for independence. And exaggerating it, again, is not in our interests. 
Interesting that the Post is a paper read by government's elites. I've seen it before. You want an answer from government? Write a letter to the Post!