Thursday 2 March 2023

“Masks are Magnificent"

Click above for the video
I though I was done writing about masks, but not quite yet. I guess. 

I did read the latest Cochrane Meta Study of masking, which concluded that masks don’t work. Then I also read the debunks, three at least -- here, here and here -- and then the debunks of the debunks. It’s debunks all the way down. Dr Vinay Prasad gives us another one, above

I have to show Vinay Prasad’s credentials, to show he’s not just -- like me -- yet another random blogger. He does know the science. Importantly: on Epidemiology, which is the study of the spread of diseases; on Biostatistics, which means he knows the data and the maths, and Medicine. 

Vinay Prasad, MD MPH; Physician & Professor
Hematologist/ Oncologist
Professor of Epidemiology, Biostatistics and Medicine
Author of 450+ Peer Reviewed papers, 2 Books, 2 Podcasts, 100+ op-eds.If you want to contact me, do it here: http://www.vinayakkprasad.com/contact

I know most of the papers he refers to, as I’ve written on masking since the beginning of the pandemic, since my first on 24 January 2020. Where I said that they had limited impact, which was the medical knowledge at the time. Not much has changed since, tbf. For all those posts on Masking: here

I also came to a conclusion a while back -- which I thought at the time was my own independent conclusion, not based on any other people’s analysis at the time, but who knows maybe I absorbed from the gestalt -- that there’s a difference between studying masking in the lab, like with a lab-mannequin, and masking in the real world, like on the streets, where here in Hong Kong, even though we’ve been obliged to mask for three years, people walk around with masks on the chin, or hanging from an ear, or just below the nose. IOW, people wear masks differently than the lab crash-test-dummy does. And if we think we can educate people to wear them better, well, yeah, but no. People are just not ready for that. I know from observation here in Hong Kong, even here in very obedient Hong Kong. Not going to happen. 

Bottom line is, forget the science, we’ve all got our tribes on this. Mine is anti-mask. Done with them. No matter how useful. Which -- the science shows -- is not much! Please, never again.