Sunday 26 March 2023

Birds love cheese

I’m in the kitchen, prepping my latest Osso Buco, cutting the mould off some blue cheese and eating the good bits. I throw the mouldy bits out on our kitchen garden for whoever. And it’s birds! They zoom in like Hitchcock’s Birds. Birds fluttering everywhere. 

I eat anything that’s not rotten. Out of date? Smell it and eat it. Drop on floor? Pick it and eat it. That’s kept me healthy. I’m too fat. Sure. But healthy, as in not sick? Sure. 

Stuff in the pantry that’s out of date? I don’t throw it. I open and smell it. Taste. If it smells ok and tastes ok, then it’s ok. That’s it. “Use by dates” are a nonsense.

I recall my essay of whether or not we should feed birds. Here it is. Short answer is: yeah, sure, feed birds. 

With the cheese: the birds were so keen they didn’t budge when I came out with some more. They were so keen, they froze in place. Where’s my cheese? Who moved my cheese?

We’ve had so many dogs, and I say from observation: there’s not a dog in the world who doesn’t love cheese. Cheese. The bread of life.