Saturday 5 December 2020

Vendée Globe: Heartbreak at 40° South

Alex Thomson, black top left on way to Cape Town. He’s arrived
Then Sam Davies (red) and Sebastien on route to retire
Tracker is here
Sam Davies on Initiatives Coeur:

The boatspeed went from 20kts to zero. The boat nosedived on the impact with the keel. I knew it was the keel. I heard a crack coming from there. I and everything else flew forwards, including my dinner which has repainted the entire inside of my boat. Everything moved. I went flying into a ring frame, luckily, because that could have been worse. It was really violent. But luckily I have just hurt some ribs. It is not serious but really painful.

I know that from a couple of groundings, going to zero in an inch, but in our case nothing like the speed she was doing.  20 knots to zero! My goodness! And now she and fellow sailor Sebastien Simon, who also hit a UFO, are on their way to Cape Town.

Meantime, Alex Thomson and his Hugo Boss arrive in Cape Town, having retired with broken rudder:
Video here