Friday 23 December 2022

Remembering “Suzanne"

Best watch the above before reading below
1969 in Canberra, Australia. 

I’m a uni student. Sharing a three bed house in Elder Street Braddon. Opposite the Ainslie Primary School, that I’d been to in 1958, a “new Australian”, put in the migrants’ class cause I couldn’t speak English, and now we live opposite it, we three friends, we old school friends, no harm having been done by being labelled “immigrant” at Ainslie Primary or even at being called “a wop” or a “dago” because I spoke Italian and was dark and chubby and Italian-looking. No harm done. And anyway I got back at them, as we went over every evening to pinch the unopened bottles of milk that kids had left, not wanting it. The left-over bottles were going to go to pigs anyway, so why not to us? 

We’re sitting there in 1969, in the autumn coolth, in Elder St, our house a mecca for mates, it’s our place, we live here, we pay rent and all that adult stuff, which was kinda new for us in our late teenage hood.  But wed run out of dope! I get the short straw. I was sent out to replenish our stash.

Rustle around for the cash for the stash. Thirty Oz dollars for an ounce in those days. I haven’t don’t the maths, but it’s not all that much and just the other day in Hong Kong, I was offered some at multiples of that price, even allowing for inflation. So we rustled together $30. It was around ten at night. They expected me back in an hour or less. 

Into my VW beetle, and off to see Brenda, living in the Civic Apartments. Canberra is such a land-prolific city that something like “apartments” is unusual. These were just three floors high, but  remarkable for Canberra.  

I knocked on the door. Come in. Opened into a smoky room with bodies. On the floor and beaning in bags. Brenda was somewhere in that smoke and she lazily bid me in. Something on the stereo. Leonard Cohen, I found out. My first taste. (by far not my last). 

I couldn’t just come straight out and ask for the dope. Courtesy. Brenda was no dealer. Just a friend. “Just” a friend? A friend then, and courtesies had to be gone though. 

I draped myself on a bean bag. 

I noticed that Brenda was busy. Sitting on the floor, with a saucer between her legs, working away at something. 

She kept at it as we chatted. 

She reached into the saucer, took something and put it to her mouth, sucked smoothly. Passed the saucer to the next bean bagger. Then offered it me.

“What is it?” I ask.

“California Gold."

Acid, huh? I’d never had it, but had read about it and heard about it. So...

“Sure, why not”, I say. “But how much?”. “Oh, it’s free”, she says. How much to take? She looks at me, big bloke, does her mental calculations, like a doctor. Two half tablets, she thought. 

They alway say “the rest is history". Except it wasn’t. Except it was. My own history, that night, which I’ve never forgotten. That night. 

The rest was a night of delightful hallucinations. Leonard Cohen's Suzanne took me by the hand and led me down to her boats by the river, and I heard the boats go by and I spent the night beside her. I knew she was half-crazy, but that’s why I wanted to be there; I was more than half crazy.

She fed me tea and oranges that came all the way from China. I had no love to give her, but she got me on her wavelength, she let the river answer for her: “you’ve always been my lover".

I wanted to travel with her, down the Swiss mountain side, cows smiling, cows talking, cows mooing, cows moaning, mooning and moaning about their tough lives, their sensitive udders, their signifiant udders, and I wanted to travel blind, but Suzanne tells me she will trust me. That I'd touched her perfect body with my mind. 

Can that be Jesus there? A sailor? Walking on water? Could that be? How, when I’ve never believed in you? I struggle to recall: I’m hallucinating. But it’s tough. Hallucination is real. I might believe in him, as he watched from his lonely wooden tower.
He said all men will be sailors, until the sea shall free them, and we’ve been free to sail these South China Seas and other seas, and Oceans, though Jesus himself was broken long before the sky would open. Forsaken, almost human, he sank beneath his wisdom like a stone. I wanted to travel with him, to travel blind and maybe even trust him.
And now Suzanne returns takes my hand and leads me to the river. She’s wearing...
She's wearing rags and feathers from Salvation Army counters. 
The sun poured down like honey on our lady of the harbour. She showed me where to look among the garbage and the flowers. She showed me the heroes in the seaweed, the children in the morning, leaning out for love. She said "they will lean that way forever”.
While Suzanne holds the mirror...
And I do want to travel with her, and I do want to travel blindAnd then I know that I can trust herFor she's touched my broken body with her mind.

*****
And then it’s morning, I walk to my car. I forgot to buy the dope from Brenda. I’ve just been with Suzanne and Leonard and on the river walks and sea trips, and trip trips. 
I arrive back at Elder St. All quiet. It’s morning. All have left. 
On the mirror above the mantlepiece, someone has written in lipstick: “Forsythe, where are you??”