I did not know this. I did not know that the phrase "Cultural Marxism" is a construct of the conspiracist far-right and anti-semitic far right.
I'd just thought it meant the influence of Marxism on academia in particular. Which is pretty much a given. But I think I have to accept the analysis of Samuel Moyn in his article that it is longstanding and rather not-nice bigotry. It's in the area of Jewish Bolshevism: Marx, Lenin, Trotsky and all that.
Oh well, live and learn.
ADDED (12/10/26): The article is paywalled. Here’s a Gemini summary:
In his November 2018 New York Times op-ed titled "The Alt-Right's Favorite Meme Is 100 Years Old", Yale professor Samuel Moyn examined the history and toxic nature of the "Cultural Marxism" conspiracy theory.[1, 2]
Core Arguments of the Essay
- Ancient Roots in Old Myths: Moyn argued that the modern alt-right obsession with "Cultural Marxism" is not a new or postmodern critique, but rather a century-old ideological trope. [1]
- Connection to Antisemitic Propaganda: He compared the contemporary discourse around Cultural Marxism to historical 20th-century myths—most notably the Nazi-era propaganda of "Jewish Bolshevism" and the war on "degenerate art". [1]
- Targeting the Frankfurt School: The conspiracy theory centers on blaming Jewish-led or associated intellectuals from the Frankfurt School for allegedly subverting Western values, gender roles, and traditional culture. [1]
- A Dangerous Diversion: Moyn characterized the term as a "sad diversion from framing legitimate grievances" and a harmful lure used in contemporary political polarization. [1]
