Friday 24 April 2020

Covid-19 virus update, 24 April

My spreadsheet from figures at Worldometer 
HK Total = 1036. New = 2.  Both imported.
Time for lockdowns to be eased. Let the under 60s back to work. Can social disruptions possibly last another year? Because there’s no empirical evidence for lockdowns.
News watching and I’d like to be ABC = Anything But Covid. But it’s hard. Flipping the channels and it’s AAC = All About Covid. Sigh… CNA tells us one third of the world population is in some form of lockdown. I reckon we’ll come to see what we’re doing now as massive overreaction. [ADDED: Though Bill Gates thinks not]

Listening to “Millport” about the tiny Scottish port, and it’s pretty weird. BBC Radio 4 Extra.

China loses face with ‘face mask diplomacy’.  Missouri’s misguided lawsuit against China.

From Lockdown Sceptic, originally from Babylon Bee:
I copped some of this myself. When I wrote ‘When will it end?’ on 21 March people (some) called me cruel, heartless, not caring about deaths… (‘I want people to die’). All a bit surprising to me, and weird, at the time, as all I was doing was wondering when we could go back to work. But people (some) are locked into a binary: either you’re for the economy or you’re for life.  But it’s not a binary. Even lockdown has its death costs, some direct - like people dying of cancer undiagnosed because of focus on Covid-19. Let alone the mental anguish of mom and pop stores losing what they’ve taken a lifetime to build.
Please note: people calling for ongoing lockdowns are always in secure salaried jobs. None meeting a payroll.