Tuesday 25 July 2023

“May your trails be crooked...” | Edward Abbey

I’d never heard of Edward Abbey before my day-date Zen-themed calendar today. 

Of Abbey, here’s a wiki, which also helps to explain the rather provocative snip above: 

Regarding his writing style, Abbey states: "I write in a deliberately provocative and outrageous manner because I like to startle people. I hope to wake up people. I have no desire to simply soothe or please. I would rather risk making people angry than putting them to sleep. And I try to write in a style that's entertaining as well as provocative. It's hard for me to stay serious for more than half a page at a time.” [48] 
Abbey felt that it was the duty of all authors to "speak the truth--especially unpopular truth. Especially truth that offends the powerful, the rich, the well-established, the traditional, the mythic".[49]