Monday 27 May 2024

“A prelude to war” | Alexander Downer and John Anderson

Above, a talk between two Aussie ex senior Ministers in the Liberal Government, the host John Anderson and Alexander Downer. 

Alexander is Australia’s longest-serving Foreign Minister. For a while he was Leader of the Opposition. John Anderson was our Deputy Prime Minister for a time. In my time as a senior Trade Envoy, I knew both these guys. Alexander rather more than John. 

I know Alexander from my Foreign Affairs days. We joined as Diplomatic Trainees together in 1976, and did our 6-weeks of induction training together in Canberra, in mid 1976. I was then posted to China, to learn Chinese and serve in the Embassy in Beijing. Alexander went off to a posting somewhere I can’t recall, but then soon left to join the Australian Liberal Party (our conservative party). And then the rest. 

In this talk, I find I agree with his views on pretty much 100% of them. We are in violent agreement. I align totally with his views on Iran. And ditto on Israel. 

When I posted my comments on the two-state solution and Hamas, and so on, I had not yet watched the above video. I say that because I find what I said is reflected in what Alexander says. 

Here’s the time stamps of the video above:

00:00 Intro 01:37 Dangerous Times 14:23 Trust Between Government and Public 36:00 We Need Better Leadership 40:35 Nationalism, Patriotism and Immigration 48:52 Israel and Antisemitism 01:05:52 Dictatorships Within the West

There’s Israel at 48:52