Friday 31 May 2024

Is Australia a racist country?

Is Australia a racist country? 

The question is reverberating around Australia because of the comments of a senior member of the Australian Broadcasting Commission and ABC Board member, Laura Tingle. She said, at a writer’s conference in Melbourne, that “Australia is a racist country; it’s sad but true”. And went on to make pretty nasty remarks about Australia’s Opposition Leader, Peter Dutton

Thing is: one could say this in private or as an average member of the public. But she’s with Australia’s national broadcaster, the ABC, the Charter of which says: ABC staff must be scrupulously impartial. Saying that “Australia is a racist country” in a semi-public forum, as a Board member of the ABC, is not impartial, no matter what you think of the truth or otherwise of the statement. 

Anyway, is Australia racist? 

The answer to this must be: Compared to when? And compared to who? [or is it “whom”??]

A. Compared to the past:  Australia has come a long way since the White Australia Policy. So, we’re not as racist as the past. Most countries, at least most developed countries, have similar experience. At levels of law and of culture and of practice, most countries are less racist than they used to be. 

B. Compared to other countries: In various polls of countries around the world, I’ve found that Australia tends to come out fairly high in the list of countries least to most racist. That’s not to say that there’s no racism in Australia. Every country in the world has racism. But we’re amongst the least. Not the least. But amongst the better ones in the world. 

If you look up “Racism by country” in Wikipedia, you see that each has an extensive list of how and when it’s been racist. Racism is not an Australia-alone thing and it’s nowhere near an “Australia is worst” thing. 

Looking around for the polls of racism, I came across the following [my emphases]: 

Nandita Chakraborty says she has experienced many issues because of her Indian sounding surname.
The challenges are real and can be so disheartening. I have found that if I take the time to get to know people so they can develop an understanding of who I am and what I bring to the table, I am morelikely to be successful in being given opportunities. If I don't do this and make the extra effort, and I am considered on name alone, then I know that I miss out on opportunities.” [HRD magazine]
Now, you know what I’d say to Ms Chakraborty? Change your name! I did that when I went to China. I wore Chinese clothes, ate Chinese food, spoke Chinese and took a Chinese name. I would have done that even if they hadn’t asked. Even if there’d been western food. Because I’m in a different country with a different culture. And I thought it right to respect that by trying to fit in. 

I’m not suggesting anything Ms Chakraborty that I wouldn’t do, or haven’t done, myself. It just makes sense. Look at all those “challenges” that she says are “disheartening” just because people are put off by her name! All she has to do is get herself in front of an interviewer and she’s off. Do that by changing your name! Then more interviews and more chances for the employer to “develop an understanding” of who she is. That’s right -- because no “racism”, no “prejudice”  lasts more than a few minutes of talking to someone. 

I’ll bet Chakraborty hasn’t changed her name because either she or her friends have said that she must “preserve her culture”, be “proud of your name” and “don’t succumb to the colonialism of taking on an English sounding name”, or some such. It’s all nonsense. It’s all fantasy racism. 

Change your name and change your life Nina! “Nina Chaser”. Your new name. FOC. 

I’ll add: in China from 1976 to today, I’ve had comments and treatment from Chinese to me of the type that I know many non-Anglo Australian immigrants would consider racist. I consider them so myself. But what do I do about it? Nothing. I forget it. I ignore it. It’s not me that’s at fault it’s them. Let it go.

ADDED: I recall now that I also had racist jibes when I arrived in Australia as a 9 year old, from Italy. I couldn’t speak English and they called my a “wog” and a “wop”. I didn’t know what they meant, but they didn’t sound nice. What did I do with that? I just got on with learning English. 

My overall lesson in all this is: just try to fit in to the country you’ve gone to. Problem with that is: in today’s climate that’s seen as not being “true to one’s self”, or having your “culture appropriated” or some such woke nonsense. It’s a pity. 

E Pluribus Unum is a very good motto. From the Many, One.