Friday 3 May 2019

Tweet by Nawaz, Post by Greenfield: are the Muslim Brotherhood terrorists?

Maajid - (Mājid) [maːʤɪd] ماجد (@MaajidNawaz)
Thread: online reactions to my intervention opposing Trump's proposed terror ban on Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood -a group I vociferously criticise that adheres to an Islamist ideology I vehemently reject - show there's a growing cadre of online "critics" of Islam & Muslims who...

I wrote about the dreaded Muslim Brotherhood yesterday, commenting on Trump's apparent desire to label them a terrorist outfit. I ended up saying the Brotherhood is at least "terrorist-adjacent".
Sure they do good works and charity — so does Hamas; so did the Nazis: they built the Volkswagen and awesome autobahns. But the Brotherhood are also Islamists who seek the supremacy of Islam, the downfall of America's secular government, Islamic sharia ruling the land, the flag of jihad flying over the White House.
So, yeah, at the very least we need to keep a "fierce and basilisk eye" on them. 
Here is Maajid Nawaz in his Twitter thread saying that they're a horrid Islamist outfit, which he has criticised often, but that they should not be labelled as terrorist
I'll need to find his reasoning for that view [*] as I respect Maajid's opinion hugely. But in this thread above he just goes after trolls and ad hominem mungers. 
Meantime, Daniel Greenfield has another view on the NYT article that set off this ker-flutter:
So: knowledgeable people can have different opinions on the issue.
LATER: The Clarion project calls the NYT article "breathtakingly disingenuous".
********
[*] Here is Maajid: “I say Trump is wrong here”.
Maajid - (Mājid) [maːʤɪd] ماجد (@MaajidNawaz)
I’m a fierce critic of Islamism (Muslim theocracy). But with a lifetime in this field &years spent in Egypt’s jails with Brotherhood &their leader Dr Badi’, I say Trump is wrong here. The Brotherhood are Islamists,but they don’t adopt terrorism as a method aljazeera.com/news/2019/04/t…