Tuesday 3 November 2020

Sam Harris thinks he finally gets Trump. He doesn’t

Trump is fat Jesus, he’s “grab ‘em by the pussy” Jesus, he’s “I’ll eat nothing but cheeseburgers if I want to” Jesus, he’s “I want to punch them in the face” Jesus, he’s “go back to your shithole countries” Jesus,  he’s “no apologies” Jesus.   

~ Sam Harris in “The key to Trump’s appeal

From a 8-minute podcast by Sam Harris in the eve of the election. He says he never got why people supported Trump. Until now. His take is: Trump provides absolution for all the sins of the immoral. He’s like a Jesus. “Fat Jesus…” etc, as above. Whereas the Left does nothing but tell you, cis gendered white male, that you’re racist, horrid, etc.

This explicitly smears Trump supporters as “fat, pussy-grabbing, Cheeseburger eating” bigots who want to punch immigrants in the face and send the, back to “shithole countries”. That’s what Sam Harris is saying. His fans are cheering this in. I find it repulsive. I know Trump supporters. Not a one one is within a coney of this. I’m not a Trump supporter myself, but would, if I were American, vote for Trump, largely because of such vicious bigotry on the other side, cheered on by the “in the hole for a feckless geriatric wind-vane” Jesus media. 

And that’s from Sam Harris who I have long admired, read all his books, listened to all his podcasts. No longer. Sam has shown here truly horrid levels of delusion, bigotry and self righteousness. Today and in his earlier podcast with Andrew Sullivan.

Here’s what I think is some of the Trump appeal: shaking up the system (the duopoly); giving voice to non-coastal elites; bringing back manufacturing jobs to the heartland; fighting China to stop theft of IP and jobs; stemming flow of illegal immigrants taking working class jobs. Do you see anything in there about absolution for being fat and “punching people in the face”. By the way, on the punching point. This only ones I’ve seen openly calling for punching people in the face in recent years have been the Antifa folk. The Biden Antifa, whomsay it’s just fine to “punch a nazi” which they define as a Trump supporter. Seems Harris has bought into this narrative. 

Keep looking, Sam. You don’t got it yet. 

(Honestly, this is just such vile crap. From an otherwise sane guy)

PS: I’m recalling that in the piece I posted the other day, his podcast with Sullivan, Harris likened Trump voters to ignorant children.