Tuesday 17 November 2020

SCMP - To stay in Hong Kong or go? Beijing’s latest ruling reignites the dilemma

My comment at the site:

My own decision to stay or go is based on freedoms. Can I freely get access to whatever information I want? Whether from China (Baidu, WeChat, etc) or international (Google, YouTube, Blogger, Netflix, newspapers, etc), and all international films. And I have freedom of speech -- that my blogs are not censored. That I can travel freely. And have freedom of capital movement. That freedom of religion is maintained (tho I'm atheist). These are important freedoms, which we continue to enjoy. If they were eroded, that would be a red line, for me.

I don't like Beijing overreach -- who does? -- but (so far) has not affected these freedoms.

In this respect I say SCMP is doing a pretty good job keeping free speech alive, in difficult times.