Thursday 5 November 2020

SCMP - Hong Kong deserves a civil service that moves with the times

This is in the category of “First World problems”. (Oh, to have such a problem!)
The Marine Department contacted me yesterday to say I could do an interview for the renewal of my licence to drive a pleasure vessels in Hong Kong waters by FaceTime (having previously demanded I attend in person). Today SCMP published the letter I’d written the other day in high dudgeon. So I’ve written SCMP again saying, whoops, sorry, MarDep and thanks for being so flexible! 


Correction: The Marine Department has agreed to an interview with me by FaceTime and they did this before my letter was published. I would like to thank MarDep through these pages, for this flexibility.
(However, I do remain sceptical as to the need for such a face-to-face interview, which requirement could well be dropped with no damage to our national security).
Pf etc