Tuesday 3 November 2020

Do I care who wins the US election?

 As I sit here in Hong Kong, I’ve determined that I won’t. I won’t worry about who wins. Even though it does affect us here. Trump and Pompeo’s war with China has caught us here in Hong Kong in the crossfire. There’s the “Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act”, which has only hurt us. Ted Cruz came here and said he didn’t see any violence in the streets, even though it was happening just outside his hotel. The Trump admin has not been good for Hong Kong.

So, we ought to be, I ought to be, rooting for Biden, right? Well, maybe not, because I think one ought to look beyond one issue. And the issue here is nothing less than the future of America and of western values. Crazy? Not really. There’s not one leader in the west, apart in the last few days of Macron, who has said that we must stand up for our western values. On the other side we have the Squad and their acolytes further left, who think that the United States, and the worlds capitalist systems must be brought down. Of course, of course, of course, this can’t happen. Or at least not tomorrow. But surely they are not kidding and surely they want to move that way and surely Joe will light the road for them.

I’d rather one than the other to win. But whichever wins I’m going to accept it with equanimity. I’m 70 now. And as Confucius says “when you’re seventy, you can go where your heart desires*”. Which turns out to be not true, literally. I can’t just hop on a plane and go where I want. But metaphorical, it resonates. Keep the heart open. Go where it takes one.

********

*七十而从心所欲. Qi Shi Er Cong Xin Suo Yu.

Here’s a thing: whenever I go to type “Biden-Harris”, I accidentally start with “Harris-...”. Time will tell. Very soon. A vote for Joe is absolutely a vote for Kamala. And if you’re fine with her, then all I can say is....