Tuesday 8 June 2021

Why is Australia warning about war with China? A clue: elections loom

The Chinese Embassy in Canberra, where I enjoyed 
many a dim sum, back in the day...

I'm just bookmarking this for now [Internet Archive]. I'll have more to add after I'm back from the pool.... (maybe...).

Very anti-Australia article, from the reliable Australophobe Su-Lin Tan, in our local paper, the SCMP, attended by comments almost all anti-Australian, some racist, some would-be genocidal -- calling for China to "wipe Australia off the map". Some of the commenters are the usual "50-cent army", some, I know, are not. Just hyper pro-Beijing and anti-Australia having its own values and policies. It's ok for China to have strict border policies and focus on National Security (to the extent of extending the NSL to Hong Kong); but heaven forfend if Australia should do so -- racists! xenophobes! (Hypocrites...)

I know a number of those quoted in the article, some from my days or yore, in the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs, a diplomat, who as they say is "sent abroad to lie for their country". 

Some of the quotees are doves, some hawks. I'm more on the hawks' side. [Internet Archive]. Meantime....