“Tesla has no Plan B”
I’m saying this. Dave Lee is saying this. In a good way.
That is, Elon Musk has taken the gutsy decision to bet the whole company on a new paradigm of driving. One where all daily driving, the driving one does of necessity rather than for fun, is by fully autonomous vehicles, with no human driver, driven everywhere in every condition by AI.
Teslas drive like humans. They have eyes (8 cameras) and a brain (AI). Like humans, they can drive anywhere. Better and much safer than humans.
Don’t worry. You’ll still be able to drive a car if you want. Just as I can drive my 1950 Jaguar XK-120, which has no seatbelts, no decent brakes; in fact, zero safety features. But I can still drive it if I want, anywhere and still do Classic car rallies.
We still ride horses. Just not to get to work. We’ll still be able to drive cars. Just that we’ll do it for fun. Not for work.
Will Elon’s decision anger those who just want a super-cheap Tesla? Sure. But remember when Apple did away with the Floppy Disc in 1998? Everyone, me included, went bananas. But that move drove change.
Tesla too is driving change. Literally. And leaving legacy manufacturers in the dust.