Wednesday 23 August 2023

For the sake of balance: An argument *against* the Lab Leak Theory | Quillette

 The Lab-Leak Illusion

The laboratory accident hypothesis of COVID-19’s origins is a bust, but the popular consensus is unwilling to accept it.

Here. And be sure to read the comments. 

My own quick comment is: that I read the leaks of the internal emails from the Wuhan Lab and I read them in the original Chinese, and I don’t share the author’s “nothing to see here” conclusion. I thought they could easily be read as showing deep concern about something having gone awry.

For the record, I’m one of those that thinks the balance of probabilities is that the cause of the Covid pandemic as a leak at the Wuhan Institute of Virology. There’s no final proof, just a balance of probabilities. I’m not the only one. 

Eric Weinstein claps back. This is not an issue of one or the other, but of open minds on what the origin could have been, which was not allowed by the prevailing narrative. 
I don’t think you are getting it here Claire. Many of us have never thought this was proven either to be Zoonotic or Lab authored. There is only one thing of which I am totally certain as a STEM PhD: the laboratory hypothesis was never “a bust” or “racism” or “a tin foil hat conspiracy theory” etc. when it was raised. That is what the fuss is about. Why did our institutions treat the **scientific** imperative to consider *all* viable hypotheses without bias as anti-science, pseudo-science, nuttery, or bigotry???? And why are you joining this movement to make those who want this answered look like they are acting bizarrely?? The bizarreness and pseudoscience started from the instant imperative not to consider the laboratory. And all that came from the institutions who all knew better. 100%.