Tuesday 9 July 2024

Is Steve Bannon a racist?

Click above for the video
I’m not a particular fan of Steve Bannon, but have been watching a bit more of his YouTube appearance lately on Megyn Kelly that he’d had a falling out with during early Trump days. How these two came back together is interesting. 

I always thought he was a bit of a crazy. He may still be. But for sure there’s this about him: he’s smart; he’s done lots of things including working for Goldman Sachs (not an easy gig); an officer in the U.S. Navy; a daughter graduate of West Point and at war in Iraq;  the top adviser to then-president Donald Trump; and now being in jail for “contempt of congress”. 

So, he’s been round the block. And has some interesting views about what’s happening now, post the disastrous (for Biden), presidential debate last Thursday. 

And then I’m watching a video of Bannon being interviewed by Steve Edginton of GB News.

An Occasional Reader of this blog says that Steve Bannon is racist. I ask for where’s the evidence? And they say it’s in the Oxford Union Debate, six years ago. 

So, I listen to the debate, which is in the video above. 

I don’t find any racist things said by him. Indeed the opposite. But the OR responds that “many people say that he’s racist; are they all wrong?”. To which I think, (but don’t say): “Many people say Trump is Hitler, are they all wrong?”. To which my own answer, to both, is: yes they are. At least if the Oxford Union debate is the best evidence that he’s racist. Which is that he’s not. 

This is revealing of what some people think they can see, when there’s nothing to see. Unless there really is something to see, and I’m the one not seeing it. But I think it’s more like: they see something (racism), when it’s just not there. And part of “seeing” it is the thought that “lots of other people have seen it”. Therefore it must be true. Cognitive Dissonance.