Thursday 24 November 2022

Getting our Poinciana (aka Flame Tree aka Phoenix Tree) pruned today

Next door, 7 May 2021. Poinciana. Aka, Flame Tree.
Chinese: 凤凰树  Fenghuang Shu, lit: Phoenix Tree
Pruning trees best done in winter, so Mr Google tells me. 
Pruning by ATP Tree of Sai Kung, arborists. Owner Jonathan Picker. Pruning Team leader: Ben, + 4. [Added: they did a great job!].
PS: I wish our own Poinciana was as floribund as the one above. I’m envious! But it seems some are, some aren’t. We have plenty of Poincianas around Discovery Bay, some really huge, and all have differing amounts of flowering come spring. 

Ben up the Poinciana
Yikes! (Ben, again)
Da Boyz, L to R: Ben, Jeff, Fred, Sean, Chris
They did a great job. The poinciana tree is now so nicely trimmed, looks like I do when I’ve had a haircut. Needed! Job done!
PS: I planted this tree myself back in 2002. It was 6’ tall when I planted it. It’s grown all that in 20 years. Over the years, it’s been knocked down several times by typhoons. Now it’s too big to be knocked over, I think. Unless by a super typhoon and then I’ll blame global warming.